Saturday, August 06, 2005

Do Jedis Think in Absolutes?

I was reminded of an interesting line by Obi Wan Kenobi before the light sabers sent sparks flying at the final duel between him and Anakin...

"Only a Sith Lord deals in absolutes. I will do what I must." (which is, kill Anakin)

OK, that's interesting.

"MUST you absolutely do it, Master Obi Wan?"

It seems that the 'must' is rather absolute here.

But here's my take on this...

The exceedingly ironic thing about this whole episode is, actually, the fact that Sith Lord is moral relativist! (an inconsistent one, though, as they inevitably are)


Dun believe, look at this CONVERSATION between Palpatine and young Anakin Skywalker


2 comments:

silentsoliloquy said...

Great little article. :) Watching Star Wars really gets me thinking bout similiar issues in the church today... Sometimes I miss those days where I could just watch movies and not be stimulated to draw parallels and stuff.

Dave said...

hey bro! thanks, in days like ours where people dun read but watch lotsa vcds, movies provide lots of modern parables :)